Sunday, March 15, 2015

Thoughts after Meeting with the Rabbi

Ok, so today I had my first study session with the Rabbi, and it went very well. She stressed what I should be focusing on moving forward:

  1. Building my vocabulary - Quizlet will likely be a major help here, because a lot of this will be simple memorization. In addition, I need to know which nouns are masculine and which nouns are feminine. This will be more difficult than in French, because, in French, you learn the words based on their gender. For example, you don’t simply learn the word “crayon,” meaning pencil. Instead, you learn it as “un crayon,” so that there is never any question that the word is masculine. On the other hand, there is no distinction between masculine and feminine nouns in Hebrew; you just need to memorize them.
  2. The 7 major verb families. The one I already learned is called “Kal,” and it is both the simplest and the most common one. One of the verbs that falls under this category is למד - learn

For next week, she assigned me to read Chapters 4 and 5 in the Biblical Hebrew Textbook! Hopefully, it will be funny and enjoyable. The passage I read to her at our session was about a father who ate all the bread in the house! Anyways, we created a 1:00 - 1:30 slot every sunday, and this is set to continue far after the project is completed. Who knows?! Maybe by the end, I’ll be fluent in Hebrew! Now, it’s time to go memorize my TED Talk. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment